Alejandro Jodorowsky is kinda like Terry Gilliam, but with more psychedelic’s and more spiritualism. His film’s always inspire me. and are like taking something that effects the synapse of the mind. He evokes moods with his use of metaphors and colors and his outlook on politics and religion have always been cleverly disguised, but sometimes blatantly obvious, in a kaleidoscope of smoke and mirrors and it is because of this, I imagine, that producers in Hollywood will not take a chance on him. Hell, John Lennon had to front his own money to get Alejandro’s psycho-western El Topo played in NYC, back in the seventies, but that should tell you something about the man’s gift for film making. The Dance of Reality is written by Alejandro Jodorowsky, but produced by donations from his fans. I don’t think he even did the Kickstarter thing, he just posted a video and the necessary people got wind and that was it. Hear that Zach Braff? When your talented, they will remember. The Dance of Reality (La Danza de la Realidad) has the same feel as his 80’s film Sante Sangre, but it’s no less intriguing. His use of colors and symbols are a welcome site in this world of mediocrity. Being that we are now just seeing the trailer, I’m guessing that it might’ve premiered before the recent Cannes submission Jodorowsky’s Dune (A documentary that talks about Jordorowsky’s most ambitious endeavor, that never was). Hopefully you’ll see this trailer and want to know more about this brilliant film maker.
The Dance of Reality is an independent film written and directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky, and based on his autobiography of the same name. The film blends Jodorowsky’s personal history with metaphor, mythology and poetry, reflecting the director’s view that reality is not objective but rather a “dance” created by our imaginations: “The story of my life is a constant effort to expand the imagination and its limitations, to capture its therapeutic and transformative potential… An active imagination is the key to such a wide vision: it looks at life from angles that are not our own, imagining other levels of consciousness superior to our own.” The film has been described as “surrealistic”.
- WATCH: New Jodorowsky Trailer (thequietus.com)
- ‘The Dance Of Reality’: First look at new film from Alejandro Jodorowsky (dangerousminds.net)
- Trailer for Alejandro Jodorowsky’s First Film in 23 Years (animalnewyork.com)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘The Dance of Reality’ (variety.com)
- Trailer For Alejandro Jodorowsky’s THE DANCE OF REALITY Is Filled With Hauntingly Surreal Imagery! (web1.aintitcool.com)
- Cannes 2013: Chile’s onetime cult king still the wizard of weird (latimes.com)
- Indiewire: ‘The Dance of Reality,’ Alejandro Jodoroworsky’s First Film in 23 Years, Is a Return to Form (dianepernet.typepad.com)